When I heard the groundhog predicted 6 more weeks of winter, I huddled down further in my pile of blankets. It’s cold enough as is; I don’t want to hear about an extended winter! But despite my complaining about the windchill, I do still love the season. Well, I like the idea of it. Movie nights with hot chocolate, cozy scarves, and snow are my kind of thing. Actually braving the weather is another story. So I rounded up my favorite pieces to keep me warm and stylish (at least, underneath my bulky parka). Check out my winter favorites below!
1. I’ve never been too keen on long vests. I’ve always thought they distract from what you’ve got going on in the rest of the outfit (and can be really hard to style!). But I came across this beautifully draped basic piece by Guess that assuaged all my fears. I’ve been completely converted and I love throwing this on over a basic sweater or blouse to pull the outfit together.
Brienna Long Draped Vest, $89, available at Guess
2. I had been looking for a longline coat for what felt like ages. It’s such a vital piece for those days when it isn’t quite freezing, but definitely isn’t warm. So I was ecstatic when I finally found exactly what I was looking for in this minimalist coat from Forever21. It’s surprisingly warm and lends a cool-girl vibe to any outfit (especially paired with on-trend sneakers).
Ribbed Knit Overcoat, $74.90, available at Forever21
3. Black Chelsea boots are always a staple in my wardrobe, but winter weather can take a toll. To save my go-to pair from salted roads and snow, I switch them out for a rubber version. I love this pair by Sam Edelman; you can’t even tell they’re rain boots!
‘Tinsley’ Rain Boot by Sam Edelman, $54.95, available at Nordstrom
4. Turtlenecks came back in a big way in the past year. But besides being on-trend, they’re also great for actually keeping your neck warm. I love this mock neck version by Madewell. It provides pretty much the same amount of warmth as a classic fit turtleneck, but doesn’t feel as constricting. I’m also obsessed with the pinky-mauve color of the sweater. It’s the perfect way to add a pop of color to a dreary winter day.
Southfield Mockneck Sweater, $69.99, available at Madewell
5. I’m not gonna lie: I was super hesitant to try any of Kylie Jenner’s lip kits at first. I love my Colourpop liquid lipsticks, so I didn’t see the point in spending four times as much for what I assumed was the exact same product. But after receiving a lipkit as a gift, I was converted. So when Kylie came out with her eyeshadow palettes, I had to give one a shot. I’m completely obsessed with the colors in this palette. The range of shades flatter every skintone and allow for a variety of looks, from dramatic burgundy to a warm, lighter smokey eye.
The Burgundy Palette, $42, available at KylieCosmetics.com
6. I wear these jeans almost every day (sorry not sorry). The slashed knees add just the right amount of edge to even a plain t shirt, but aren’t so destroyed that your legs turn blue when you step outside! I also love that these are highwaisted; it makes it easy to wear then with any top.
AEO Denim X Super Hi-Rise Jegging, $54.95, available at American Eagle Outfitters
7. I featured this style of skirt in my Fall 2015 Favorites, but the trend has not gone anywhere. The suede keeps the short length from being too seasonally-confused, and it looks great with a pair of thigh-high boots like the ones below!
Black Faux Suede Mini Skirt, $40, available at Missguided
8. I spent months looking for a pair of over the knee boots. I ended up with the Meagan boot from Shoedazzle, which laces up the back, but I’m kind of obsessed with this stretch version by Steve Madden. Regardless of what style you go for, thigh-high boots are here to stay.
Steve Madden Gabriana Stretch Over The Knee Boot, $129.95, available at Nordstrom
9. Dull, dry skin is my number one fear every winter. So to slough off the dry skin and keep my glow on, I reach for Glamglow’s Flashmud Brightening Treatment mask. The mask is formulated with white birch leaf to even skintone and diamond photoluminescence to increase the luminosity of the skin. It does wonders for flat, dull skin, but you must use SPF and moisturizer!
Glamglow Flashmud Brightening Treatmeant, $42, available at Amazon
10. Winter weather doesn’t just mess with my skin. The windchill also destroys my lips (which makes it very difficult to apply the vampy lip colors I tend towards during the season). But my saving grace is this rosebud salve. Not only does it last forever, but it smells incredible and neither feels greasy nor dries out your lips even more.
Rosebud Salve, $6, available at Sephora