I‘ve been looking forward to fall basically all summer. Sure, autumn is back-to-school season (bleh), but it’s also the season of flannels, pumpkin spice, apple picking, and cozy nights in. (I’m a walking Pinterest board, don’t judge). So when the air finally turned a little chillier this week, I was more than ready to break out my sweaters and scarves.
But the thing was, I had essentially forgotten how to dress for colder weather. Am I the only one? So to get out of my summer style rut, I compiled some fall favorites for this year. Check out my picks below!
1. I’ve been looking high and low for a flattering trench coat, and this belted option from Zara fits the bill. It’s a classic camel color, and the fact that it’s water repellant makes it perfect for any dreary fall days. The button and tab details also take the style factor up a notch.
Water Repellant Trench Coat, $129, available at Zara
2. I’ve been seeing leather backpacks everywhere recently, and while they definitely aren’t a new trend, the material is perfect for transitioning into fall. A lot of versions are also straying away from plain leather and adding quilting embellishments, buckles, and studs. I picked up this version from Target that’s big enough for my laptop and notebooks and the perfect way to add some style to any cozy look.
Mossimo Supply Co. Faux Leather Backpack, $29.99, available at Target
3. Fall weather always inspires some amazing makeup looks. But while deep maroons and smokey greys aren’t going anywhere, the best way to add some pop to your makeup this season is with metallics. Dark bronze is the obvious choice for fall, but rosegold is a less conventional pick. I love this liquid lipstick from Colourpop for a metallic lip that isn’t too overwhelming, and can help transition your look from beachy bronze to a more autumnal palette.
Ultra Metallic Lip in Man Eater, $6, available at Colourpop
4. The 90’s came back in a big way this year, and brought chokers along for the ride. Another trend that isn’t going anywhere for fall, chokers complete pretty much any outfit. The classic, of course, is the tattoo choker, but this velour version from Forever21 is the perfect way to wear the trend this fall. The rhinestone accents on this one also up the glam factor and scream of Victoriana, one of the biggest trends on the runway this season.
Velour Rhinestone Choker, $9.90, available at Forever 21
5. I love my cargo jacket, but it can be a little too boxy for some looks. A cargo vest, on the other hand, is a great way to wear the military look this fall, and is perfect for bringing sundresses into the season. This one from Abercrombie & Fitch has a flattering fit and features both button and zip closures.
Twill Military Vest, $60, available at Abercrombie & Fitch
6. Remember when I said I was excited about flannels? I should have said I was really excited about flannels. I’ve been building up my collection this summer, and while flannels are totally wearable tied around your waist in the spring and summer, fall is really their time to shine. I love the colors in this version from American Eagle (they remind me of an apple orchard!).
AEO Ahhhmazingly Soft Boyfriend Shirt, $44.95, available at American Eagle Outfitters
7. I’ve been obsessed with the leather look recently. It adds such a cool-girl vibe to even the most basic outfit (looking at you, t-shirt and sneakers). This faux pair from H&M sets itself apart from the typical leather legging with a real button closer pocket detailing.
Imitation Leather Pants, $34.99, available at H&M
8. I like my skirts like I like my flannels: plaid. (I’m so sorry). But seriously, I’ve been loving plaid in all it’s forms this season, especially this skirt from Forever 21. It’s a classic print in a mod mini-skirt silhouette that I can’t get enough of.
Plaid Flannel Skirt, $7.99, available at Forever 21
9. Like I said, I’ve been loving the leather look recently. But while leather is usually synonymous with boots as the air turns colder, I’ve been seeing leather on all types of footwear this season. Take these sneakers from Joie, for example. They lend a stylish upgrade to a classic slip-on with snake-embossed leather, and look perfect with skinnies and an oversized sweater.
Joie Kidmore Sneaker, $190, available at Nordstrom
10. This black lipstick from Katy Perry’s CoverGirl collection is definitely a daring choice, but deep, dark lips are everywhere this season. This is a great choice for someone wanting to give darker lips a try, since it’s only $9 (the only black drugstore lipstick I’ve seen!). It also goes on like a dream with a semi-matte finish.
CoverGirl Katy Kat Matte Lipstick in Perry Panther, $8.99, available at Ulta
11. Bell-sleeved blouses that beckoned back to the ’70s abounded this summer, but you can still wear the silhouette into fall. Sticking with a darker color and sleeker fit, like this blouse from H&M, keeps the look from being too summery. I also love the keyhole detail and slits on the sides of this blouse.
Long-Sleeved Blouse, $19.99, available at H&M
What are your fall favorites this year? Let me know!
Shop This Post